Sunday, April 19, 2015

IG: picoverlayz

Michel de Certeau makes reference to the differences and interactions between "place" and "space." According to him, "a place (lieu) is the order (of whatever kind) in accord with which elements are distributed in relationships of coexistence...[while] a space exists when one takes into consideration vectors of direction, velocities, and time variables. "

My space: Instagram
My place: Whatever I choose to make it

I had a lot of fun with this project. It was fun to find the "inbetweens" of typical landscape/scenery photography. Instead of taking a picture of a building, I took a picture of a parking sign on the building. Instead of taking a picture of a fraternity house, I took a picture of the garbage can in front of it. I then took images of these spaces (or places) and combined them to create a new place. A new image.






I thought that people on instagram would find these pictures to be hella laaammeeee since they aren't grand landscape picture overlays, but more so overlapping pictures of specific and kind of random things. And I found that my followers, or whoever found my pictures via hashtags, really liked the pictures that I didn't like as much. I was putting a decent amount of effort into how I edited them and which two images I decided to overlap, but it really didn't matter. They liked ones that I didn't put too much thought into. I found that to be interesting. If I knew that earlier, I probably could have done even more.

Check it out: PICOVERLAYZ

2 comments:

  1. you know i love the instagram stuff. this project is interesting because you are making fun (i think) of those classic overlayed pictures that get mad likes, but still, these are really cool! they're kind of a joke and i can't resist the rad-ness of them. i love the randomness too, i think that helps a lot with the satire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen a lot of overlaid pics on instagram and I like them but I have no idea how the hell people do that. And it does get a little old. Like what was the point of overlaying those two things? What does that have to do with anything? Why not just post two separate pictures and not confuse me?? They can be very beautiful, though. These are awesome!

    ReplyDelete