Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Spain: Fashion for the Seasons

I promised in my last post that I would create one about typical outfits I have seen in Spain, so here it is! I tried to create outfits that fit for the different seasons here thus far.


This is an outfit that I saw lot of during my first multiple weeks here. A lot of girls (specifically teenage) would be rocking a tight cami that ended just above their hip bones, or above their belly buttons depending on how risque they wanted to be that day..., jean shorts, black platform sneakers (platform sneakers are a huge trend here for young girls), and of course a small backpack. I´m not sure that you´d see me walking the streets in this outfit, but it´s definitely a European look that I saw when I first arrived. It makes sense too though. It was ungodly hot upon arrival so why fuss with anything more than a tank top and shorts?
Summer in Spain

This next outfit I saw more of in mid September to early October. Printed pants. Everywhere. And people of all ages were wearing them. I wouldn´t even know where to start with them, but people here knew how to style them (for the most part). I saw a lot of people just wearing them with jean jackets which is always a safe way to go when you´re wearing something else so loud. I was even tempted to buy a pair but I knew that I´d only get a couple months wear out of them, and then it´s back to blizzards and below zero weather in Wisconsin. But a lot of other girls in my program bought themselves a pair (super easy to find in stores too because like I said, they were everywhere. And sometimes for less than 10 euro!). Also, I love this style of sandal. I saw some back in the States and wanted one since then, but didn´t realize how big of a trend they are in the hotter months in Spain. I saw people my age wearing them as well as ladies in their 70s. Must be comfortable.
Summer in Spain 2.0
Finally, we´re in Fall. It came quickly too. I feel like in a matter of a couple of days it went from 60s-70s to 40s-50s weather here. So now this is what I´ve been seeing a lot. Not too different from the states I´d like to add. The military green parka seems to be a universal trend (especially the ones with the little dangly strings in the back... you ladies know what I´m talking about... I hope). As well as knee high boots. Another universal fall trend. I don´t think knee high boots will ever go out of style for those of us living where Fall and Winter are a real thing. But don´t quote me on that. It rains here on and off so I also see a lot of Spaniards wearing rain boots on a daily basis, just on the off chance that it might rain. They treat them as a normal day-to-day boot in a sense. I don´t however see many people wearing leggings which is really disappointing since I live in leggings during the colder months. People here still for the most part stick with a pair of jeans. I´ve also seen some people layering their sweaters over collared shirts, which isn´t anything outrageous... but it´s nice to know that they are still putting some effort into their outfits whereas when its cold I just throw on a sweater and call it a day. Oh, and I added an umbrella just because people are borderline afraid of the rain here and are always prepared for the rain. Always.
Winter in Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment