Tuesday, June 9, 2015

The Lawrence Confessional

For my final project in my very last Digital Processes class everrrrrr, I decided to expand on my interest in breaking social barriers. However, this one was a little different due to the Michel de Certeau reading we have been engaging with all term.

I already explained the premise in a previous blog, but I had the intention to make every single confession false from the very start. This was based off of de Certeau's theory that belief is contingent upon many variables. He asserts that something is true if you believe it to be. So it is really up to the individual to decide if something is true or not -- there is no set in stone rule that determines whether something is believable.

Going off of this idea, I knew that I wanted my video to break the taboo of talking about hook-up culture on the Lawrence University campus but I also wanted to bring in this idea that something is true if you believe it to be true. Thus was the birth of the false sexual confessions.
I wanted the viewers to actually believe that each confession was true, and for that reason I tried to choose outrageous stories that still stayed within the believable realm. However, whether or not people believed the stories to be true is ultimately up to them... and that is the whole point.

(I will be adding the video to this blog post once it finishes uploading to YouTube.)

No comments:

Post a Comment