Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Mundane In My Life

My concept for this project stems from my personal life. I will use video as my medium, recording several different mundane activities that I do on a weekly basis
The meat of the clips is going to be found in the absurdly tedious/typical things I do on a typical day... closeups of tearing open the package to a granola bar, sipping my coffee, opening the door to my room, typing on my laptop keyboard, etc. I am going to try to find the things that I do without even thinking. I see the video beginning with my alarm clock going off, and ending with a clip of me in my bed, in my room, under the covers, and then the lights go off thus signaling the end to the day.

I am going to record these individual actions and combine them in a video with editing that communicates a mundane feeling. I anticipate using a dull filter such as black and white, or one with a green tint. Avoiding smooth transitions but rather quick cuts, and repeating these clips over and over in different sequence with quickening speeds to communicate how it is a routine for me.
My thought is that this method to editing may communicate chaos more than a mundane routine. So....  on the other hand, I could do the opposite and edit the clips to be very slow in order to show that it's a monotonous and boring routine. I may experiment with both of these approaches and decide which is best in the end

I want to make this video personal and for that reason I am pulling elements from my own life week by week, day to day.

No comments:

Post a Comment